Die Castings Tooling FAQ
We use SKD61 (of JIS standard of Japan) tool steel, which provides the same tooling characteristics as those used in North America, with tool life of 80,000 shots (depending on surface finish requirements).
Common review questions as relate to the product are whether:
- having enough draft?
- wall thickness is sufficient?
- parting line is OK?
- needing changeable inserts?
- needing logo?
- if radius is enough?
- if needing to add ribs?
- during final castings:
- date code is needed?
- ejection pin location will affect the part's surface cosmetics?
- if machining will be used (additional material for casting needs to be added for machining)?
- deciding on parting lines
- deciding on the gating way
- how many slides will be used?
- how many cavities will be used?
- deciding on the cooling system
By far the complexity of the part is the main factor affecting tooling cost.
Typically we provide 2-3 pieces of 1st articles for approval. For smaller parts we can provide more.